Subject: [Leica] SHUTTER LAG
From: vroger at gmail.com (Roger Rubin)
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 13:11:45 -0500

Hi All:
I read with interest the shutter lag discussion. I dunno...I take pictures
of people on the street- I started out digitally with a Digilux 1 (I still
have 2 at 3.9 mp each). There is no shutter lag but "killer" noise over ISO
100. Every compact I have ever owned had some lag, except a Pentax Optio 4
and a 5 which I still wear on my belt. They can't be used for available
light- On the other hand, DSLR's have no lag- my G1 m 4/3 seems to have no
noticeable lag. What shutter lag is to me...simply the time it takes for me
to frame my subject; press the shutter and find that the object of
my imaging affection has moved out of the frame. When you shoot people,
knowing your equipment helps, but grabbing the moment does not allow for
lag. I don't care whether you are another HCB with a thorough knowledge of
your equipment... frustration WILL be there from time to time as you miss a
shot. The greatest advert for DSLRs is the lack of lag- but you are using a
DSLR, not a digicam with an "open view" such as found in a rangefinder-
that's the price you pay. Just a thought. vroger