Subject: [Leica] Shadows and Sun on El Raval
From: passaro.vince at gmail.com (Vince Passaro)
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 00:25:07 -0500

Lluis,

These are lovely images and is not 35mm the greatest focal length of all?
When I was shooting film I had brilliant cheap 35mm lenses for my Minolta
and my Nikon but I've never managed to get a Leica -- I have the 40mm
Summicron C which is a gorgeous and very particular lens in its own right
but finally I have bought a CV Skopar 35/2.5 which is not a Summicron of
course but it will have to do until I write a good film script.

Meanwhile, I'm particularly interested in "Winter Sun" -- the set of evening
pictures from December (in this same neighborhood yes?) were all in plus X
but now we have tri-x; it amazes me how much I love tri-x. Years ago a
Russian-born, German-raised very serious artist who lived in the arpartment
next to mine in NYC tried to teach me how to sketch and she kept saying
"look at the walues, pay attention to the walues..." And so now look at the
values in "Winter Sun" -- the different grays just of the high windows! Then
consider all the stones! There is nothing like tri-x in the world. Now I'm
shooting digital and what I miss the most is the unmistakeable look and feel
of b+w images created with that particular film.

Of coures in NYC it was costing me $3.50 per roll, plus $6 to process and $6
to scan (total with tax etc more than $15 per roll) so --  digital is
keeping my girlfriend from assassinating me.  9And yes I tried to scan my
own but the time involved -- forget it.)

Tri-X and a Leica 35mm lens, and a real city. That's what they give you when
you get to photo-heaven.

Vince P

Replies: Reply from lluisripollquerol at gmail.com (Lluis Ripoll Querol) ([Leica] Shadows and Sun on El Raval)