Subject: [Leica] Protected hawk
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 18:02:05 -0500

Greg writes:

Birds of Prey are protected, both in Canada and the US, by Federal Law. The
fine for killing such a bird is pretty stiff:

<
http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/features_lifestyle_animal/2008/03/pro-golfer-fell.html

Even harrassing such a bird can result in pretty substantial fines. Shooting
a BB or Pellet gun at a bird of this size would most likely kill or wound
it. Even if you missed the bird such harrasment is illegal.

BBs work fine against the deer that eat all my wife's flowers. They don't
penetrate the tough hide but discourage them from hanging around. I never
tried killing a hawk with a BB but I'll bet cooked hawk tastes a lot like
bald eagle. Interestingly, a few years ago in trying to halt the spread of
avian flu, New York used a pesticide that killed birds of prey as well as
more pacific species. Or get a hungry cat.

Larry Z