Subject: [Leica] collapsible 35 & 50 on M8-9
From: sethrosner at nycap.rr.com (Seth Rosner)
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 13:04:47 -0500

Nathan wrote:

For some of us, Passport would cover the damage, so it might be worth a try.

A cynical view is that Leica wants to discourage the use of the old lenses
so that people buy new ones ;-)

Cheers,
Nathan

Doesn't cheer me at all, Nathan; in fact your post bothers me a lot. You
want 'some of us' to try so you can put to great and unnecessary expense a
Company upon which most if not all of us depend for world-class gear and
which has always struggled financially? Now THAT'S cynical. In fact, if I
were running Leica, I would reject such a Passport claim based upon
deliberate misuse of the camera in the face of warnings. As to your second d
thought, through the generations Leitz/Leica has reveled in the fact that it
has always designed cameras that could use superceded lenses going back a
half-century or more. And the collapsible Elmars, Summitars and early
Summicrons are clearly inferior optically to their Rigid successors. Of
course Leica wants people to buy new lenses but IMHO the cynical view is
rubbish.

Seth