Subject: [Leica] Barcelona Pavilion in color
From: passaro.vince at gmail.com (Vince Passaro)
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 11:42:28 -0500

Lluis:
The color photos are very beautiful and very loyal to the subject. I
disagree with Nathan and Hugh (I think it was Hugh) that Mies' work is about
lines and shapes: his colors are very important to the effect of the space:
even his grays. Look at how the patterns of the stones match up. I am very
much a fan of black and white over color most of the time in most
conditions, but for this, I was shocked how much better the color was at
conveying the almost religious elegance -- if elegance can be a religion he
made it one -- of his design for that building. I hope people will go back
and look at the color photos again: note the way he works the colors
against/with each other, including the color of the sky and the colors
reflected in the water. His colors are muted, yes, or quiet would be a
better word; mysterious and subtle, yes; but in the end crucial.

Interestingly someone posted a link the other day to this fantastic
12-minute film about photography and architecture and the Barcelona Pavilion
appears in it repeatedly. Perhaps that post was in response to your photos?
Anyway for those who didn't see it, here's the link:
http://vimeo.com/7809605. It's immensely beautiful.

Anyway thanks for the photos.

Vince P

Replies: Reply from hewthompson at mac.com (Hugh Thompson) ([Leica] Barcelona Pavilion in color)