Subject: [Leica] Oatmeal revisited
From: sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter)
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 08:31:13 -0600

One of my treasured Christmas gifts was a rice cooker.   I know what
you're thinking, "What does  a Louisiana boy need a rice cooker for?"

Amazingly, it does a nice job of cooking Zatarains rice, and keeping
it warm all afternoon.

It also does a good job of cooking grits, but makes such a mess, that
it is not worth the trouble.

But get this!  Uncle Ben's Old Fashioned Long Cooking Oats take 20
minutes, and you can put your water, some milk, oats, some butter,
some raisins, even some brown sugar in, stir it up, lock her down,
switch it on and come back to hot smooth oatmeal.  I'd add a little
more liquid than the recipe calls for.

I have some Irish steel cut oats that take a lot longer to cook, so
one morning when I have time to do a double cook, I'll give that a
try.

Since I had to go to work this morning, I only added brown sugar,
cream and pecans before I ate.

I understand a shot of Redbreast makes it better to face an Irish
morning, and lately, Louisiana mornings have felt pretty much like
Irish mornings.

--
Regards,

Sonny