Subject: [Leica] New 35mm cropped
From: sethrosner at nycap.rr.com (Seth Rosner)
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 09:02:33 -0500

Mark wrote:

The fact that cropped format digital photography is not longer  taken
seriously by photographers and their art directors and editors is a fact not
my quirky opinion. Its a fact and a well known one. And for quite some time.

This has been a very useful discourse for me, since I had the bad timing to
buy an M8.2 last spring, not knowing that the M9 was impending. And I've
been hemming and hawing about getting an M9. Candidly, one of the
differences and one that is important to me is the sapphire screen on the M8
that the M9 lacks.

That said, Mark, you are writing and sounding like an ideologue, almost, but
not quite, beginning to remind me of marc very small. On this thread there
are a lot of comments in straight-out contradiction of your statement that
photographers no longer take seriously, cropped format digital. I don't know
about art directors. But while art directors are an important part of the
photographic scene - and intensely important for you who earn your bread by
your work - they are a very small part of the universal photographic world.
Leica would be out of business if the only buyers of their cameras and
lenses were professionals. So get off the Hyde Park Corner soapbox. The M8 -
and the improved M8.2 - is a splendid camera and the fact that it has been
superceded by the M9 in no way diminishes Leica's courage and accomplishment
in producing it - and as a business lawyer, I can tell you that this was a
bet-the-company gamble - nor its place in the history of image-producing as
the first professional RF digital nor the fact that it is capable of
producing superb images with unrivalled ease. Leave your art directors in
their little cubbyholes with their narrow-minded exclusionary definitions
and the automatic prejudgments - I was going to write prejudices - that they
have created to reduce the massive inflow of images and to eliminate the
extra work that this creates

I don't care about art directors, only about the pictures I take.

Respectfully, and still your friend!    ;-)

Seth