Subject: [Leica] New 35mm cropped
From: jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore)
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 20:51:26 -0500

[on value-priced used M8s]

2010-01-12-19:42:23 Mark Rabiner:
> You know any photographers taking advantage of the plummeting prices to
> obtain one? I don't.

Of course I do.  One obvious example is Chris Williams, wedding
photographer extraordinare.  For Kath's and my wedding, he was
wielding an M8 and a Nikon D3, using each for what it was good at.  I
believe he's still happily using that pair of cameras -- you'll have
to ask him.  I'm pretty sure he bought the M8 when they got cheap,
around M9 time.  And if he eventually ponies up for an M9, well, he'll
have gotten a significant amount of artistically and commercially
successful work out of the M8 while he's had it.

Another example, whom you wouldn't have heard of, is the woman who
bought an M8 from me as I was scraping together M9 money.  She was
overjoyed to be able to afford an M8 finally, and I hear she's really
happy with the work she's been doing with it.

I bet a show of hands on the Leica Users Group (LUG) would reveal a
bunch of people who've happily snagged an M8 now that they cost about
a third what they used to.

 -J

Message from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] New 35mm cropped)