Subject: [Leica] [OT] Scanning Kodachrome help
From: spencer at aotera.org (Spencer Cheng)
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 11:26:01 -0500

Folks,

I've been working on scanning some Kodachrome slides using mostly Vuescan as
that is the one I am most familiar with. I've calibrated my scanner with an
IT8 target I bought from Silverfast in both Vuescan and Silverfast. I've
calibrated my MacBook Pro's screen with a Datacolor doohickey.

One group of slide has been very hard to scan. I can't seem to get rid of an
magenta'ish cast. The pictures was shot on an overcast day [Edith Cavell
glacier, Jasper National Park (Canada)]. The original slide has a beautiful
milky green tone to the water and the snow banks was almost white -
definitely not magenta.

If I correct for the snow, the water turns grey. If I correct for the water,
the magenta cast gets worse.

I've tried this in both Silverfast and Vuescan. Both gives similar results.
It's driving me crazy.

Here is an example of a very bad scan from Silverfast.

<http://www.aotera.org/tmp/ice.jpg>

Any suggestions?

Regards,
Spencer