Subject: [Leica] As Steve ... warm wishes too for the 2010
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 21:44:05 -0800

Lluis Ripoll Querol offered:

> 2009 was a difficult year for many of us, more for others.
>
> Today I've shot this picture of my granddaughter Maria and I want it
> be my manner too to send to all my best wishes for the 2010.
>
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/luisrq/Miscellaneous/20100110_5940bw.jpg.html
> M8, Summilux 75

Hi Lluis,
Maria what a beautiful happy child. I suppose all little folks her size with
candy on a stick would be happy. :-) She is a beauty! :-)

Grand children are wonderful, small and adults! They are a treasure! My good
fortune is I have 10 of them, 6 boys and 4 girls. Not little ones any longer
like Maria, some are in their twenties and working, others in college, the
youngest 15 in high school.

But when they were small I made a comment without any real thought before
opening my big mouth.:-)
The oldest grandson was about to start a job. So I said, of course in
thinking I was encouraging him to save money from his small salary.

"Chris when you save a $1000 in the bank I'll give you a $1000 to match it,
but you can't run off and spend it on something stupid. You must save it or
invest it!"  It never occurred to me that a day would come when I'd get a
phone call from him. :-) "Grandpa you remember you said you'd give me a
thousand dollars when I had a thousand saved?"

What do I say? "Oh yeah sure that was to teach you about saving money and
investing some." "Well Grandpa when are you going to send me my thousand
dollars to invest as I've got my part!!" :-)

All of a sudden the light goes on and I realize I'm about to be out a
thousand dollars! Well that wasn't such a bright idea. I'd made a promise so
I sent him a cheque for his thousand. He was as happy as anything and
immediately told his 4 sisters and his cousins across Canada... "hey when
you save a thousand dollars Grandpa will give you a thousand as he just gave
me a cheque!"

I told you I have 10 grand children! Now you know what it's cost me over the
years as each saved a thousand! YEP! I'd get a phone call, "Hey G'pa, I have
my thousand saved and you told Christopher when he got a thousand you'd give
him a thousand. So?" After the first few as they saved their money I began
to realize I was paying off a ten thousand dollar debt! :-(

Ok ten thousand dollars over the years in my attempt to teach them about
saving and investing! Yes a few times it was a stretch, however every dollar
with these kids can be accounted for, so it's the best investment I ever
made. And I get it back in the enjoyment of how they look after their money
in a fashion I never did when I was younger.

So Lluis don't make any rash promises about teaching Maria how to save money
when she grows up and working. :-) Particularly if she has brothers, sisters
or cousins! ;-)

cheers,
ted

Replies: Reply from lluisripollquerol at gmail.com (Lluis Ripoll Querol) ([Leica] As Steve ... warm wishes too for the 2010)