Subject: [Leica] out of focus objects in the foreground (was: re more on the GF-1, the finder, and a portrait of an artist)
From: jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore)
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 17:52:49 -0500

2010-01-10-17:09:42 Kyle Cassidy:
> i often find myself looking FOR something out of focus to put in the
> foreground.
>
> http://www.kylecassidy.com/lj/2010/tom-purdom-3.jpg
> http://www.kylecassidy.com/lj/2009/hhdl7.jpg
>
> especially in "newsy" type photos I like to frame a subject with out
> of focus foreground objects. i think that, and i haven't really
> paused to consider this deeply, that it give a more 3d look -- the
> flat sort of telephoto lens 3d look, as though things are cardboard
> slices in a diorama -- i like it for some reason. it can be used to
> present the idea that other things are going on but that the subject
> is of paramount importance -- they're in the middle of whatever's
> going on.

First... the John Ennis pictures are great (and look at you, providing
the primary picture for his Wikipedia entry!), and the monk picture is
freakin' gorgeous.

But on the topic: having out-of-focus people cross in front of the
principals in a shot has become a trademark in TV shows like "Law &
Order" and its offspring.  You get so used to it you might not notice
unless you choose to pay attention, but it gives that feeling of
documentary-style recording of the gritty reality of police work.

And it makes for a nice funny phrase: since the folk who do business
on-screen but don't have lines -- extras, if you will -- are referred to
in the biz as "background" players, you could call the front-crossers
"foreground background".

Okay, it amused me.

 -Jeff

In reply to: Message from kcassidy at asc.upenn.edu (Kyle Cassidy) ([Leica] out of focus objects in the foreground (was: re more on the GF-1, the finder, and a portrait of an artist))