Subject: [Leica] IMG: Young Shepherdess
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 2010 16:28:59 -0800

Tina: I have been unable to comment much recently. And your stuff is
usually to such a high standard that it seems almost silly and pointless
to just chime in with "great shot" or some such thing.  But in this
case, I think you've come up with a National Geographic cover.  I want
to say so, even if belatedly.

The girl and her smile are so engaging, the scenery so gorgeous, and the
late afternoon lighting so beautiful that I do not care that you had to
open up the shadowed face a bit more than realistically possible with
the natural light.  My head knows that you did, my heart is with the
content. And I'm someone who normally finds HDR pictures cheesy and
impossible looking.

The picture looks like there was a bit of fill flash or an assistant
with a reflector just off-camera. So, you did that digitally. So what?
You could take the face down a couple of points and see if that makes it
more realistic.  But for the most part, I'd leave it alone, maybe clone
out that bright backwards C-shaped hair on her upper forehead.

I can honestly say I see this on the cover of something--a book about
the region, a magazine, a charitable organization's booklet.  Or, like I
said, National Geographic.  Wow.

--Peter

Tina posted:

Replies: Reply from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] IMG: Young Shepherdess)