Subject: [Leica] IMG: Happy New Year from Kabul, Afghanistan
From: hewthompson at mac.com (Hugh Thompson)
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 08:09:50 +0430

Ted - thank you for your good wishes.

As everywhere there are many different people in this country.  The
people who murdered the reporter and those wonderful young Canadian
men, are not the everyday Afghans.  I am not here to argue political
points, I am here to help rebuild Afghanistan, so is Wendy Thurman.
In my conversations with Afghan business people here, they know the
country must move forward to have any chance of healing the rifts in
this very tribal society.  These people are based very much in the
21st Century, but others cannot or will not change willingly.  I was
talking with a very well read gentleman last evening, at a social
gathering, he says it will take many more years and education,
education, education to make change.  I have an opportunity to do
something about that, we are bidding on a hospital, and school, along
with a major hydro project.

At 66, I want to put something back, hopefully my experience will help
these people, and, you know Ted, that in another time and decade, you
would have been here, in the thick of it, doing what you do best,
photographing what you see, and telling the story to the world.

All the best to you, your lovely wife, and the rest of the LUG family
for a better 2010

Sincerely,

Hugh

Replies: Reply from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] IMG: Happy New Year from Kabul, Afghanistan)