Subject: [Leica] year end mad dash to spend $$$ or pay taxes on it
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 01:17:27 -0500

> Mark,
> Have you factored in inflation? The investment return is far less than
> what you think.
> Cheers
> Jayanand

I didn't factor in a whole lot of things I'm sure.
But a 21mm ASPH Elmarit I got in December of 2001 and I have socks that old
for $2,299 not cost $4,295.
    a 35mm Summicron M I got for  February of 2000 for $1495 now cost
$2,795.
And on from there. My Noctilux went from 3 grand to 6.

A nikon lens I got back then for 500 bucks I can leave on the sidewalk
outside my apartment with the used furniture and it will be there in the
morning. A flee bitten mattress has more allure.

Not that a picture you might take with that lens assuming it didn't rain
that night would not turn out just great.
Its just that you couldn't sell it for 20 bucks.
I love the stuff. The Nikon stuff.
Its just a small issue that my beloved stuff I make my images with everyday
does not exactly keep its value any better than a Ford Pinto.

Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from shino at panix.com (Rei Shinozuka) ([Leica] year end mad dash to spend $$$ or pay taxes on it)