Subject: [Leica] year end mad dash to spend $$$ or pay taxes on it
From: kcassidy at asc.upenn.edu (Kyle Cassidy)
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 00:10:37 -0500

Bob Adler sed:

>I think what Reuters is referring to is the section 179 deduction in lieu
>of
>depreciation. You can deduct the full value of the asset(s) up to $250,000
>in the year of purchase: you don't have to depreciate the asset over its
>useful life (there are exceptions of course; consult your tax preparer).
>In 2010 the section 179 deduction is scheduled to be dropped to $25,000.
>So buy multiple M9s, MF backs, D3s, lenses, printers, pack mules (I
>deducted
>my SUV in the year of purchase!), etc.

that is correct --

There are a few thing that my photo business could really use -- computer &
storage upgrades being one, but another is the hole that's left in my
working environment by the two Leicas sitting on my bookshelf (the
Hindenburg Leica never really added to my workflow to begin with, so I don't
count it now). There's definitely a time and place where a camera of that
size is preferable to the big honking DSLR. For a while I thought I could
use my Leica and scan the film but found that by the time I'd gotten the
film to the lab whomever had already chosen  a digital photo from someone
else to run wherever. (I really got my ... um ... camera ... handed to me in
2008 when photographing Chelsea Clinton on the campaign trail and by the
time I got back to my computer to pull the images off of the card (a scant
... 15 or 20 minutes later) the Daily News already had their image UP -- a
photo that their guy had shot WITH HIS FREAKING CELL PHONE (it was not a bad
photo either).) I figure now if I have the luxury to wait for film to be
developed, I'll shoot it with my hasselblad which, despite being as
difficult as six teenagers, produces really beautiful results.

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] year end mad dash to spend $$$ or pay taxes on it)