Subject: [Leica] IMG: A very merry ultra patriotic Christmas to all.
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 23:07:38 -0000

"Sonny Carter" <sonc.hegr at gmail.com> wrote re
>> "Lawrence Zeitlin" <lrzeitlin at gmail.com> wrote
>>  http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/Uncle+Sam+1.JPG.html
>>>

>> Interesting shot. That said what was the maker of the toy trying to say?
>> Uncle Sam wearing boxing gloves and holding what looks like a duck - a
>> mallard to be precise. What sort of statement is that?
>>

> Looks to me like mittens, and he's holding a goose.

Goose? While I'm unused to geese other than the white ones I seem to see
over here, I have to base my statement on the fact the picture below
resembles what Uncle Sam has under his boxing glove equipped arm :-)

http://www.animalpicturesarchive.com/animal/a6/mallard_duck-flight.jpg

I just assumed that, based on his interpretation of Uncle Sam - normally
shown over here as a slim dynamic figure - the toy artist was not the
greatest toy artist in the world :-)

http://www.sonofthesouth.net/uncle-sam/

Thanks to his efforts, it looked like Uncle Sam had fallen into bad company
having met Santa Claus in some fly blown bar post some Christmas past, and,
after the best part of a bottle of whiskey, had succumbed to the
blandishments of an invitation northwards to share Santa's year round rich
diet and lazy lifestyle at the North Pole. During his extended stay, he had
porked up heavily. Based on those impressions and the niggling awareness of
the artist's capabilities, I saw a mallard and not a goose <grin>

Mind you, bearing in mind the night that's in it, I'm sure if I keep
drinking all erroneous impressions will be dispelled....

Happy Christmas

Douglas
_________
Douglas Barry