Subject: [Leica] Leica M8 -- too fragile for the real world - or don't sweat while using it...
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 21:11:47 -0500

> George this is a tiny handful of reported problems out of the literally
> thousands of M8's delivered. Important to keep that in perspective. M9's
> just reportedly passed through 4,000 sold too.
> On sealing, I would just add that no M lens ever sold has had any weather
> sealing as part of the design and many many people (myself included) have
> used their M8's in adverse environments on occasion with sensible
> precautions and no adverse outcomes. Tina's cameras of course are the
> absolute apex of how tough they can be.
> I'll leave it at that :-)
>
> 2009/12/23 George Lottermoser <imagist3 at mac.com>
>
>> All true enough Geoff.

I would strongly suggest that the M8 being problematic to a very great many
people being some kind of myth is a myth.
It a well known troublesome well worn record of Leicas teething first out
digital M. A most difficult birth. Fraught with a high amount of
controversy. A special Upgrade program. The sending out of expensive
filters.
The upgrading of the camera from 1/8000th max to 1/4000th.
Bright line frames which were a general estimate of reality. Sapphire glass
LCD covers.
Like one of the games of tennis where the ball lands out of the line every
single time.
Bad luck.
The best thing about it is its mainly in the past.

Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] Leica M8 -- too fragile for the real world - or don't sweat while using it...)