Subject: [Leica] OT: W. Eugene Smith & Jazz Loft Project
From: profmason at yahoo.com (John Edwin Mason)
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 16:34:25 -0800 (PST)

Over 20 inches (yes, more than 50 centimeters) of snow have fallen on
Charlottesville in the last 24 hours.  It's been a great time to immerse
myself in the Jazz Loft Project.  Very exciting for anyone who likes jazz or
photography or both.  I've been at it for a couple hours, and I'm just
getting started.

The Project comes out of Duke University's Center for Documentary Studies
and showcases the thousands of photos and audio recordings that W. Eugene
Smith made in his New York loft in the late '50s and early '60s.  It was the
place to be, whether you were Thelonious Monk or Henri Cartier-Bresson,
Charles Mingus or Salvador Dali.

I started out listening to this WNYC podcast in which (among many, many
other things) jazz bassist Steve Swallow talks about Smith as a "classic
Leica" photographer -- "...he'd just kind of shoot it like a pistol."
Pianist Paul Bley uses almost the same words when referring to his
"six-shooter style."  Photographers Robert Frank and John Cohen show up to
talk about Smith, too:

http://beta.wnyc.org/shows/jazz-loft/2009/nov/29/

More podcasts and a small gallery of Smith's photos are on WNYC's Project
home page:

http://beta.wnyc.org/shows/jazz-loft/

Here's a link to the Duke site, which has a larger photo gallery and many of
audio samples from the tapes:

http://www.jazzloftproject.org/

The Duke site describes the Project this way:

"From 1957 to 1965 legendary photographer W. Eugene Smith made approximately
4,000 hours of recordings on 1,741 reel-to-reel tapes and nearly 40,000
photographs in a loft building in Manhattan's wholesale flower district
where major jazz musicians of the day gathered and played their music.

"Smith's work has remained in archives until now.

"The Jazz Loft Project is dedicated to uncovering the stories behind this
legendary moment in American cultural history."

--John

N.B.  Smith did use Leicas, but also Canon and Nikon RFs, among other
cameras.

John Edwin Mason, Photography:
http://www.JohnEdwinMason.com
Charlottesville and Cape Town