Subject: [Leica] IMG: First snow in Hannover
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 00:43:51 +0100

Geoff,

I just found time to take another look at it - you're right, the chimes
are almost vertical - I didn't notice that.

I believe I mentioned that it was shot with a lens that cost less than 2
pints of beer, and is possibly not much better than the bottom of the
bottles they're sold in - a 50mm kit lens from a Pentax P-30 - so I've
no idea what the performance is like at various apertures and this is
the first shot with it since I got an adapter for PK-mount to EOS.

It's a purely one-off, point & shoot snapshot with a Canon 20D (without
anything much except a bit of cropping) just to let people know what the
weather is like here - with no pretentions of quality, neither technical
nor artistic.

If the snow stays and I find the time (and the inclination), I'll maybe
try the same shot again as a comparison with an Olympus 50mm I recently
picked up second hand with an OM-10 for 20 euros, and a bunch of other
50mm lenses out of my cabinet, maybe Zeiss, Leica, Canon, Rollei,
Yashica and Topcon, just to see how they cope with getting a little more
texture into the snow.

Enjoy the sun at the other end of the world while it lasts, there's more
cold, wet, white stuff forecast for here tomorrow.

Try some iced porridge for breakfast ;-)

Best from Hannover
Douglas