Subject: [Leica] I wish the LUG was a harsher place. (Long Ramble)
From: richard.lists at gmail.com (Richard Man)
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 03:09:26 -0800

Heh, it's so funny. I just left a list because I was looking for
comments/critiques similar to the ones we dish out here, and all they
cannot stop (and I mean they can't stop themselves) is to tweak
channels and curves and give me advice on how to scan etc. when I am
more interested in, "is there a picture there?" Technical aspect is
the easiest to critique but the hardest to do over a web image.

I think your situation (at least the part about we are not
professional and have $dayjob with limited time) resonates with a
majority of us. We do need to make the best out of the limited time we
have. As I live in the boring suburbia, while I'd love to hone my
skills at documentary style street photography, there is just not a
whole lot of opportunity. Costume photography and taiko photography
are almost a shoe-on for me, as I am involved with the communities.
But B&W landscapes is the area that I really want to explore right
now.

As for neg vs. pos criticism, it's a tough thing. Each person has
their preferences and interpretation. Some photos are just without
peers, others really depend on whether you like coffee or tea type of
thing. We newbie photographers have a tendency to wish to be validated
(love me love my work please), so sometimes we all have a tendency to
post photos just to elicit comments, even if we haven't taken a good
image in the last week or whatever. I'm exceptionally lousy at making
positive comments except "yup, it's a good one."

Well, good luck. You have many good images, yup, good ones :-)

--
// richard m: richard @imagecraft.com
// w: http://www.imagecraft.com/pub/Portfolio09/ blog: