Subject: [Leica] Edmonton in winter
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 20:42:03 -0800

Thank you all for your comments. Yes, the weather
was brutal. I used to live further north in the
1950's and one place in particular it sometimes
got down to -60?F (and 115?F in summer) but I was
younger then.... But it was still brutal.

I now live in a climate where it only very rarely
gets to -5?C (about 23?F) and rarely over 32?C
(90?F). Much easier to take. Still, it was nice
to get back to experiencing a bit of snow
crunching underfoot and brilliant sunshine with
ice crystals hanging in the air. Just don't
inhale deeply and suddenly.

I used two cameras out in the cold; an M8 with a
couple of different lenses and a Panasonic G1
with a zoom. Both were kept under the outer
jacket most of the time, but probably got down to
about -20?C after a bit. They worked fine and
battery life seemed OK, but the Panasonic
complained occasionally that it had lost contact
with the lens. Other than that, absolutely no
problems and after I had let them warm up for
about an hour under my clothing when I got home
(what I used to let them do when I lived there)
they were also just fine again indoors.

As a side note: We arrived Saturday morning and
were driven to my parents-in-laws, my wife Tanya
went into the house and did not emerge until it
was time to go back to the airport Monday
evening. No reminiscent experiences of the cold
for her.

--

    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design