Subject: [Leica] LUG Digest, Vol 43, Issue 194
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 18:34:42 -0500

>>> I just got a "print dryer" in the hope to get that sheen. I suppose it
>>> may be pointing to the prints not completely have the fixer washed off
>>> or some other defects with my techniques, but I tried a couple times,
>>> and there are "unsheened" ovals :-( The shine is really nice. Anyone
>>> has any ideas? Mark Rabiner?
>>>
>>> The instructions mention" ferrotype polish" but googling shows that it
>>> may not be practical to do anymore?
>>>
>>> *back to weighing down the prints for the moment*
>>>
> Richard,
>
> The polish is used on the glosssy surface of the drier. Ordinary Bon Ami
> cleanser works about as well as anything, if they still make it.
>
> Whatever you do, don't come close to it with an RC print. That means
> curtains for the surface.
>
> Bill Pearce

Bon ami powder will make a Ferrotype plate instantly unusable for
ferrotyping prints ever again which is just fine because you'd not want to
ever do that anyway or subject your print to heat in any way especially when
wet.  Not in three decades. Why not take a class in photography or read a
book instead of getting into photography by asking questions on email lists?

Ferrotyped prints were popular with wedding photographers in the 50's in
60's and enjoyed a brief vogue in the galleries  for a  season.
Sometimes a school darkroom or newsroom darkroom would have one set up
continuously. You'd have to pre wet your print in a pre ferrotyped solution
for you to get a non spotted print.
By the 80's they were spurned by everybody and the RC prints came in for
such reproduction purposes.

The ferrotype surface was considered maybe ideal for reproduction.
Not display or serious work.
But even for reproduction people put the print in  the dryer emulsion side
to the canvas as it didn't make much difference and the ultra gloss thing
was considered annoying on all accounts. A big waste of paper on all
accounts.
A thing your photo teacher would tell you the first day of class.

http://www.apug.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-21925.html

Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from richard.lists at gmail.com (Richard Man) ([Leica] LUG Digest, Vol 43, Issue 194)