Subject: [Leica] Kennedy speech
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 05:12:23 -0500

Byron Rakizitis (not a LUG member) sent me the answer to my Trivial Pursuit
question about the Kennedy speech:

"I didn't see an answer to your question, but a quick google turns up the
entire text of the speech and the meaning of "other things" becomes clear:

There is no strife, no prejudice, no national conflict in outer space as
yet. Its hazards are hostile to us all. Its conquest deserves the best of
all mankind, and its opportunity for peaceful cooperation many never come
again. But why, some say, the moon? Why choose this as our goal? And they
may well ask why climb the highest mountain? Why, 35 years ago, fly the
Atlantic? Why does Rice play Texas?

We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and
do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard,
because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our
energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to
accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win,
and the others, too.

It is for these reasons that I regard the decision last year to shift our
efforts in space from low to high gear as among the most important decisions
that will be made during my incumbency in the office of the Presidency.

BTW, it was a speech at Rice University, not the inaugural address."

Thank you Bryon. The knowledge accessible through the LUG is astounding.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Kennedy speech)
Reply from steve.barbour at gmail.com (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] Kennedy speech)