Subject: [Leica] So I was just wondering
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 17:13:05 -0800

R. Clayton McKee offered:
Subject: Re: [Leica] So I was just wondering
>> But as I've been taught over the years, if you have to show me the
> point to the picture, it doesn't work.  She's just lost behind the
> two suits, and every time I go back to the shot it takes a deliberate
> effort to find her.
>
> Great moment to see, but as a photograph it just doesn't get there.

 Hi Clayton,
 An interesting point, I have to agree with you in this case for sure.
Simply because until the Black lady was pointed out, then the eye and arm
direction of soldier was pointed out, we as viewers had no idea what was
going on. Trust me I really looked hard at that photo and just couldn't put
anything together other than what I assumed had something to do with the two
soldiers in the middle. And that didn't turn me on and almost wondered what
Sonny was thinking when he shot it. No offence Sonny.

On the other hand when Sonny says he didn't see it until two passes of
editing, I bet when he shot it, he saw the image in his "minds eye" without
thinking of what he actually shot. Maybe?
As I've been told by learned folks, it seems we as humans often re-act to
something without realizing we are actually seeing it as a conscious image.
In other words we react because something has triggered us through our sub
conscious mind's eye!

Yeah I know it sounds complicated! :-) Hey I'm only a photographer! :-) What
the heck do I know about the minds eye and what happens in our sub-conscious
mind? I have a hard enough time keeping track with the only one I have! :-)

He was reacting to the lady without thought! I don't think, or it seems so.
Even Sonny admits it was two edit looks through the shoot in LR before he
picked it up.

It's becasue of this I think it's the perfect picture for teaching how to
edit your photography for photo students. But having it pointed out before
one gets a reaction is, as you say, not a good point in a pictures' favour.
Simply because it has to be pointed out everytime a person looks at the
photo, it sort of isn't there?

ted

Replies: Reply from sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter) ([Leica] So I was just wondering)
Message from leica at rcmckee.com (R. Clayton McKee) ([Leica] So I was just wondering)