Subject: [Leica] Noctilux - 0.95 vs. 1.0
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2009 14:57:41 -0500

> yes, the famous "barry lyndon" lens!
>
> you guys set me off on a long googling session which ended up with an
> italian website with much information chronicling the NASA-procured 1966
> zeiss planar  50mm f0.7, its optical lineage, and many beautiful
> reproductions from lyndon created by that lens.  (translation  by google
> and at times somewhat torturous)
>
> http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.luciolepri.it%2Flc2%2
> Fmarcocavina%2Fomaggio_a_kubrick.htm&sl=it&tl=en&hl=en&ie=UTF-8
>
> seeing the images, i signed up for an amazon alert for the barry lyndon
> blu-ray.
>
> -rei

You mean Blue Rei!
Taking frames from a motion picture and making stills from them is a crap
shoot anyway but when they're shot with the bottom of a coke bottle it
doesn't help.
That footage looks much better in a moviola. Or otherwise in motion. Not
just one frame.

blu-ray to me makes everything look like jellyfish.
Who knows what they put the stuff through? What algorithms of the forth
kind?
It  may look great to a Bluespotted Ribbontail Ray.
Or blues great Ray Charles.

Mark William Rabiner