Subject: [Leica] PESO: Carver
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 16:05:33 -0800

Oh no our approach is somewhat similar in being motivated by the first
moment, usually the "gut reaction" is the one that in most cases is the
magical one.
But I look at this particular scene situation with so many picture
possiblities as a kind of photo essay because of his hat, the beard, his
hands, the carvings, the tools, the light and certainly an over all as the
lead photo into the story.

Now that doesn't mean you shoot a picture of only his hat without his face,
you might, but it probably would be the hat and face when just the right
expression and light all work together! Same with his hands as he's carving
because of his age, nicks, wrinkles and time worn with just the right light,
I'm sure they would be beautiful in their own charcter of life.

It's dissecting of the whole scene creating a photo story of this elderly
gentleman. That's why I would spend the extra time working the over all
scene in finding magical moments to catch each item of the whole. This
doesn't mean they'd just be grab record pictures of mere recordings of
nothing without meaning. But if one has the right gut feeling, each and
everyone of the pictures will be a stand alone wonderful photo to be shown
alone or as a group supporting each other in telling and showing a bigger
picture.

And yep sometimes there aren't any extra photos beyond the first motivating
overall. So one just moves on.

And yes you can do this all with one camera and one lens! Film or digital.
:-)
cheers,
ted