Subject: [Leica] A Mixed Picture Norman Rockwell
From: profmason at yahoo.com (John Edwin Mason)
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 07:10:41 -0800 (PST)

Mark wrote:

> Having just heard this thing on the radio I checked out their URL and
> here it is.
> http://www.npr.org/blogs/pictureshow/
> Rockwell was heavily dependant on photography in his work.

Great story.

My favorite photography-using painter is Ben Shahn.  Very often, the photos
were his own.  He used a Leica.

Shahn had a brief, but brilliant career as a photographer in the 1930s.
Among other things, he shot for Roy Stryker, at the Resettlement
Administration and Farm Security Administration, and shared a studio with
Walker Evans.

Some information about the relationship and his photography is here:

http://www.njn.net/artsculture/shahn/photography.html

And here's self-portrait with Leica, within a larger painting ("Myself Among
the Churchgoers":

http://www.tfaoi.com/mn/mib/mib10.jpg

(Note the angle finder.  Shahn used it for most of his street photography.)

--John

John Edwin Mason, Photography:
http://www.JohnEdwinMason.com
Charlottesville and Cape Town