Subject: [Leica] Brain picking
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 17:18:42 -0800

Douglas Barry asked & showed:

> Got this message regarding one of my photos from a US travel magazine.
> ---------
> We would like to use your photo titled
> "Streetlife in Bordeaux" of the two women and the waiter at
> a cafe in our third issue. It is really awesome, and we
> think it really captures a moment of life in Bordeaux.
> ---------
> This is the image in question
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/50543475 at N00/145775550
>
> While I normally let people use my images for free, I'm beginning to think
> that I should start charging something. What do you think I should do? Is
> there a form or something I should get completed?

Hi Douglas,
If this is a USA Travel magazine they will be quite prepared to pay for the
use. You sell the image for a "ONE TIME USE ONLY!" Ask what do they pay for
inside use and cover use. If the amount seems way to low tell them your
going rate... (make yours double what they offer) and see what happens.

And give them your price like you are giving the price of a loaf of bread,
it's something you do every day! If you make it sound like you are asking
for a huge amount of money you are dead.  Sound very laissefaire "Oh my
going rate for a cover is $500.!" Or whatever the doubled amount is!  Don't
even blink! Then go from their and see what happens. They will either take
your price or offer a counter amount! You play gamesmanship and can counter
offer or.... "STAND YOUR GROUND!" at what your price is.

Certainly do not give free photos to any publishing organization as they buy
images all the time. The president and editors get paid, surprise!!!  So why
shouldn't you be paid for your photograph when it will be an enhancement of
their magazine!

Besides they already said:
>>We would like to use your photo titled
> "Streetlife in Bordeaux" of the two women and the waiter at
> a cafe in our third issue. It is really awesome, and we
> think it really captures a moment of life in Bordeaux.<<<<<<<<<<

So they will pay for it's use! If not? Then tough tittie! Tell them to
assign a photographer to go to Bordeaux and shoot it! Magazines rarely pay
for this kind of assignment any longer! :-(

Others may have different suggestions. Just don't give it away! There are
far too many pseudo photographers today who give pictures away all the time
just to get published and their name in print!
That means people as we have on the LUG who earn their living from selling
material are being robbed because of this give away crap. As I said.... The
President of the magazine get's paid! Why shouldn't you? Particularly in a
case such as this when they've already praised your photograph and are
drooling to get their hands on it! Charge them!
cheers,
Dr. ted

Replies: Reply from imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry) ([Leica] Brain picking)
Reply from leica at rcmckee.com (R. Clayton McKee) ([Leica] Brain picking)