Subject: [Leica] Why the mad rush now darkroom safety
From: benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 23:04:23 +1030

This isn't about darkroom safety - it's a part of a general
Occupational Health & Safety buildup which has been going since the
mid-1990s.  It's largely fuelled by ass-covering.  Legitimate concerns
from employers, educational institutions and other parties are
unfortunately mostly about liability in the event that someone gets
poisoned or sick, rather than really wanting to prevent these kinds of
events.

I am a trained, registered chemical OH&S assessor in Australia.  In
the lab that I run we have a hazard register with a list of all the
chemicals we have, and a procedures book with risk analyses of every
procedure we undertake.  Many of them are fairly amusing, properly
contextualised.  For instance we need several layers of personal
protective equipment to work with products like 40% ethanol, which you
can legally buy to drink (labelled as vodka).  Petrol/automotive
gasoline would be too dangerous to use in our lab, but you can legally
breathe it in, or even splash a little around at a petrol/gas station
but if you get sick, that's your own fault - everyone wants a car and
takes responsibility for their own exposure here.

I also udnerstand the other side of this.  My wife is an OH&S Lawyer.
Unfortunately, there are real risks that all too often go unaddressed
and severe injuries and fatalities result - often as a result of
falls, accidents with heavy machinery and other hazards.  She has a
really tough job.  Let's not forget that Franz kafka was an OH&S
lawyer (did you know he invented the safety helmet?)
http://bestuff.com/stuff/franz-kafkas-drawings

The real problem with all this is relativity.  Darkrooms and many
other places aren't that hazardous (I have a procedure with controls
for working with ordinary salt...), but to adequately cover the risk
employers often feel like people need to work with an amidol-based
developer like it's ethidium bromide or asbestos.

I find it deeply amusing that this page says: "Used Developer should
be neutralized (pH 7-9) and flushed with large quantities of water to
the sewer system."  Developers are much more environmentally hazardous
than they are problematic to humans, mostly because borates, silver
and other products are much more toxic to microbes and plants than
they are to large mammals like humans.  And dilution does not make
this kind of pollution go away.

If you have a darkroom, take reasonable precautions and enjoy.  If you
are really concerned get an accredited OH&S consultant to provide you
with a plan to minimise the risks.  Remember that the solvents that
you breathe in when you print with an inkjet are probably more
hazardous than anything you use in the darkroom, but you can't smell
them.

Also think about risk when you light your next cigarette, take an
alcoholic drink, get in a car and all the other things that in real
terms are much, much, much more likely to kill you.

This is on topic.  Here:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/freakscene/Randomness/leo.jpg.html is
Leonardo in our lab, replete with personal protective equipment
(nitrile gloves).  To have this type of specimen out for more than a
few seconds we need to rinse it in plain water and work under an
extractor so we don't breathe in the ethanol it's preserved in.

End rant.

Marty