Subject: [Leica] Very OT, PBS - frontline: medicating kids: the ritalin explosion
From: richard.lists at gmail.com (Richard Man)
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 23:35:53 -0800

I'm not an expert, but I can speak on some of this from personal
experience, both of our kids have ADD.

First of all, child abuse is child abuse. Hitting someone, or locking
them up for hours, is child abuse. You may argue about the gray areas
but no amount of justifications work in some cases.

We, as a nation, is over-medicating our children, and ourselves. May
be it's pharmaceutical drive to make money, or just an indication that
our personal health and the health industry are breaking down. When
2/3 of Americans are overweight and we are looking for the diet pills,
the wheels have fallen off the wagons long ago.

ADD kids, and adult, often are the ones that see outside the box. In
the earlier times, they are the tricksters, the chao ones. The ones
that move things out of the doldrums. They are not easy to handle, and
some of them may need medications to help them along, but they are not
un-attentive, lazy, disruptive because they want to, etc.

Ritalin is often the wrong drugs. What some of these kids need the
most are time for them to mature, and love and understanding to
support them.

--
// richard m: richard @imagecraft.com
// w: http://www.imagecraft.com/pub/Portfolio09/ blog: