Subject: [Leica] the ultimate digest Leica criticism thread
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 17:31:42 -0800

At 11:01 PM +0000 11/2/09, Steve Unsworth wrote:
>Just a quick question Ted, did you treat your own children in the same way
>when they were at home? Lock them in cupboards for hours maybe, or banged
>their heads against a table if they answered a question incorrectly?
>
>If not, do you think they would have been better people if you had?
>
>We had some sadistic teachers when I was at school too. I remember one
>occasion in a German lesson where the teacher lost his temper with a pupil,
>put his head in the desk and repeatedly banded the top of the desk on the
>back of his head, not as a punishment but purely and simply because he'd
>lost both his temper and his control. Others were throwing board dusters
>around. Another - a P.E. Teacher - used to watch the young boys when they
>were taking a shower. I could go on.
>
>I normally agree with you Ted, but I think you are wrong in promoting
>control by fear. If kids misbehave it's because of the parents IMHO.
>
>Steve

In the 50's in Peace River (town of 2000 about
500km over gravel roads north of Edmonton, the
'local' metropolis) we had a Physical Education
teacher and Vice-principal who showed up drunk on
those days he didn't have a hangover. He was not
popular, not because of his drinking but because
he was mean.

One year, after he had been nasty to some grade
10 to 12 boys they moved his outhouse back 3 feet
on Hallowe'en. He didn't have indoor plumbing.
Understandably, he wasn't in any better mood the
next few weeks.

Next year at Hallowe'en, he still hadn't
improved. This time the boys turned his car on
its roof, stuffed it full of newspaper and hosed
it down, inside and out for a couple of hours. It
was about -25?C outside that night.

He came to school next day angrier than ever. He was fired that day.

I was not directly involved in these games, as I
was in grades 7 and 8 and not in his purview.
--

    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
  /###\   mailto:henningw at archiphoto.com