Subject: [Leica] the ultimate digest Leica criticism thread
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 11:05:14 +1000

Frank I think fair to say that you have been quite prominent expressing your
opinions here on several Leica issues recently? Also fair to say that some
others think differently? I put several of your posts together here with
nothing edited and I offer my responses below each.
This is exactly what I was talking about.... make noise for what you
want....otherwise the manufacturer will have no idea that there is a
demand....I signed up... and if the R10 is priced within my means, I am in
for 2 of them.....Frank Filippone
*From my visit to Solms in June. The LUG does not have a high profile in
Solms. They do look at other internet forums, with the (exclusively Leica
content) L Camera Forum being the most prominent. Making noise here is not a
very effective way of telling Leica your opinions.
When the R10 cancellation was announced in June, Stefan Daniel
estimated that a body would have cost 6,000 to 7,000 Euro. His recent video
interview includes confirmation that they still don't believe the existing R
lens owner pool is enough to make an R10 viable and Leica will not make a
conventional dSLR.*
*..............................................*
 Hey, if you don't speak your mind, the status quo continues.... and
God knows, our beloved M8 cameras will be upgradeable forever......Right!
Daniels has the company line to speak and repeat.  He does so well.
Yes, the M8/M9 are .68 VF cameras.  Does that make it a) right, b)
customer driven, c) the only choice Leica had d) my or your choice?  I don't
think there is history that says.. they could have, customers had no say,
not my choice or preference.  YMMV. They did not do a higher mag VF for some
reason.. what that real reason is, is Leica's secret..... and they ain;t
telling us. What I get upset at is the incessant statement that it can not
be done.  Or that there is no one that wants a higher mag VF.,... I do.  I
liked my M3 finder ... .91 and all that.  Sure, it was useless if you had a
35mm lens on ( without eyes) but it was a wonderful shoot with a
50......Both eyes open..... remember what is was like to not  get a headache
if you were following the action with your M3, with both eyes..... so that
you could see the action come into your frame?  A .55, so I can see the 28
frames clearly with glasses, and a .42, so I can see the 21 frames clearly
with glasses. I like the current M8/9 for 35's and above, but it's a bit too
tight for the 35 and almost right for the 50. Maybe a 0.8. But right now, if
I could have one body that showed me 21mm framelines, visible with glasses
and another body that had the current framelines I'd be delighted. Sure it
can be done.  They already did it... the .85 and .58 M6TTL cameras are
examples.  Maybe you don't like the choices, maybe like me, the M6 28 finder
is not visible with glasses in a .72 body ( not easily, at least), maybe
they did it for time to market, stubborn Germanic marketing theories, or
otherwise. But don't blindly say it can't be done or that they will not do
it.....Market demand focuses efforts on the "impossible" and or
stubbornly refused.....and the LUG is one way to getting the word to the
uppers at Leica that there is a marketing need that needs addressing..... A
higher Mag Digi-M would pump demand for the longer lenses, like the135
APO Telyt, make focusing easier and more accurate for the Nocti and Summilux
50 and 75, and Summicron 75, and 90 lenses,  all valid reasons ( the
main reason for the .85 M6) for a higher VF mag. If market demand created a
White M8, then market demand can create a higher mag M8., M9, or
M10. Whatever happens, never lose sight of the power of the consumer to
get products they want, onto the shelves.... Speaking of which.. the M9....
No IR filter required, no smaller sensor..all impossible, or so we were
told..... Nonsense.  Marketing nonsense. Want better low light response than
an M8 or M9?  Complain, incessantly. It will come... So will my higher mag
VF..... Frank Filippone
The gentleman's name is Stefan Daniel, not Daniels.
The reasons for a .68 VF in the M8 and M9 are that they use the same VF as
the M7 (albeit with a different eyepiece) owing to the greater body
thickness. Look through one if you can find one.  It is the highest
magnification that will allow the 28 framelines to be reasonably visible
(without glasses). The same standard for all of the recent film cameras.
Remember that the two alternate sets were dropped from standard film camera
production some time back, presumably due to insufficient demand. Unless you
have some evidence to the contrary?
I have the M3 too; the finder was different and even more expensive to make
as well. I agree that it is wonderfully clear and useful for the 50, 90 and
135. Since it did not natively support even the 35 frames that magnification
was dropped a very long time ago. Leica listening to customer demands. The
.85 was meant to be a compromise (and the .58 at the other end). If those
versions were sufficiently in demand, why did Leica drop them? That 135 is
by all reports a superb lens but it evidently does not sell in comparable
quantities to the wider types. I just don't see any case for expecting that
Leica might make any variations on the M9 design anytime soon since clearly
they are working as hard as possible on just trying to meet the existing
initial demand.
I would think of my criticism as both constructive and market driven.... not
a bad combination to listen to, if I were Leica...... Companies tend to
think that they know what is best.  The problem is that
sometimes they get tunnel vision or desperately believe their own marketing
hype. What they need to do is to listen to customers, objectively evaluate
the criticism,  and take action.  A hard but necessary corporate survival
reality. If I can be a voice of the user, if only 1 user, and make what are
constructive criticisms, I will. And make no apologies for it. Frank
Filippone
Frank, Leica already has a CEO and business plan ;-) Fair to say that some
customers or potential customers may also tend to think that they know best,
sometimes get tunnel vision etc??
 What other major development  can save their company?  The S2? The M9
already exists, I was referring to new camera product development. If I go
back just a few months, then my recommended priority was  #1 FF M8, #2 a
Digi FF SLR, #3 new optics to go with the DigiR.  Deep 6 the S2, continue
with the rebranded products to bring in some short term profits.
Followed by product tweaks. R Bodies: Poor seller?  The R8, introduced in
1996, was one of the last high end SLR Film cameras.  It was hideously
behind in features compared to Nikon and Canon.  But it did take R glass.
By 1999, the R8 and R9 was selling against the Digi-SLR rebellion ( Nikon D1
introduced in 1999).  The R9 was never going to be a big winner, when
everyone was buying digital.  If it had been a Digi camera, it might have
been Leica's best seller!  Think of all the R fans out there that would beat
down the doors to use their R glass with a Digi R and not gone Canon or
Nikon..I am already on record.. the S2 "stole" resources from the R10, and
for that reason alone it should have been cancelled. Leica does not make the
X1.  It is a financial strategy.  As it does not
steal a large amount of resources from the R+D team, I am neutral on its
existence. Anyone that does not like the X1 because of its features ( or
whatever reason you wish to put here) is going out and buying a $13-20K of
M9 stuff? I doubt they buyers are in the same camp.  2 different markets,
with little to no overlap.
See response above ;-)
Yes obviously Leica Camera AG believes that the S2 will allow them to
compete in a particular (different) market segment. They do not believe that
they can compete in the 'shark pool' of dSLRs.
Leica considered the "digital CL' concept as a more affordable M entry but
assessed that it would be competing with both the M8/9 and the used M8
market. That last is their assessmnt of the best entry point for people not
prepared/able to pay the M8/9 new prices.
I've read that Nikon is making the camera, I also heard Panasonic.... but
that may or may not be correct.  They are all rumors..   The differeing
question is... do you really believe Leica is building a $2K camera with
lens and 12MP sensor?  Themselves?  In Germany/Portugal/EU?    Has anyone
visiting the Leica factory seen the X1 being manufactured there?    We have
videos and personal tales of the M9 being made in Germany.  But the X1?
NADA. The S2 uses resources.   My opinion is that the focus should have been
on the Digi-R.  So, my comment that the S2 stole resources from the Digi-R.
Did they start/stop/ever think about a Digi-R?  Maybe, but if they had
followed what I believe is a #1 priority, the Digi-R, the resources were
misdirected to the S2.
As a film camera, they were way behind the 8 ball.... features lacking all
over the place. But optics?  #1. The market for a digital SLR something that
takes R lenses and uses the full AE, etc, would be quite robust..... the
market for another high end MF DIgi camera, in a field of entrenched
manufacturers, with no installed base of  lenses available to set the stage
(see the Hasselblad V Line), is significantly smaller, and in my opinion,
may really not exist beyond the really rich amateur.  And thus my choice for
R+D expenditures....
Digi-R.
Ok.. I'll say it more bluntly.... You have proof otherwise? It is not a
debate over who is building the X1... If I thought Leica was, I would be all
over their case. Get back on the subject... the Digi-R.
Leica has carefully stated that the X1 will be assembled in Germany. Clearly
not every component will be made there. The same situation to a greater or
lesser extent as the M9 for example.  I thought that the X1 sensor origin
was pretty well known but I haven't seen it officially in print so I won't
repeat it again here. Since its not even in production yet and only exists
as a few prototypes, maybe wait until they actually produce some and see
what is shown?

Cheers
Geoff
The new LEICA M9 -Passion for perfect pictures.
http://www.m.leica-camera.com

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/gh/
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman

Replies: Reply from dstella1 at ameritech.net (Dante Stella) ([Leica] the ultimate digest Leica criticism thread)