Subject: [Leica] Nikon Scan problems
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 21:09:43 -0400

At 08:59 PM 10/31/2009, you wrote:
>I'm saving my scans as highest-quality JPEGs
>because they take up only about 5% of the space that TIFF requires,
>and when looking at full-screen representations
>of the same slide side- by-side from JPEG and
>TIFF, I can't tell one from the other. So I
>decided to save the space. Does anyone claim to be able to tell the
>difference on screen or in print between maximum-quality JPEG and TIFF
>or any other lossless-compressed format?
>?howard

Storage is cheap, cheap, cheap right now.  I'm
sure you know that every time you save the jpegs,
they are compressed again and not
losslessly.  You know that if the file is only 5%
of the Tiff, something is being thrown
away.  Nikon Scan is telling you to save your
valuable files in the best possible format.  You
never know when you might need a full-sized Tiff
instead of a compressed Jpeg!  Listen to Nikon Scan.

Tina

Tina Manley
www.tinamanley.com