Subject: [Leica] A modest proposal
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 01:22:50 -0400

> Here is a modest proposal. The next Leica (M10) should be modular with
> the mechanicals, lens mount, shutter, and rangefinder in one module and
> the electronics, sensor, microcomputer, battery in the other. When
> technology advances to the point where the electronics are obsolete,
> the electronics module could be slipped out of the case and replaced
> with the newer and hopefully better version. Perhaps Leica could run an
> upgrade service similar to the one which upgraded the older LTM cameras
> to later models. If that were the case, $7000 for a camera body might
> not be such a bad deal.
>
> What kept the film Leicas viable for decades is that the mechanical and
> optical components lasted long enough to accommodate many changes in
> film technology. If the M10 is built to the same standards as other M
> series cameras, the optical and mechanical components should not have
> to be discarded with every generation of electronics. Remember that in
> the computer world, the half life of a technology is only about six
> months.
>
> Larry Z

I'm still not seeing how the M9 is going to be obsolete any time at all
soon. I think when its image making capabilities become more evident as to
what very large prints it makes looks like other photographers and photo
nuts will be more quick to agree with me on this point and what the M10
might be all about some day in a galaxy far far away is going to be on no
ones minds . The M9 is going to be able to make very very large prints look
exquisite beyond all recognition to a point where looking at those images
its going to be hard to wonder how they can be in any way improved. They'll
be beyond what a film M can do in the vast majority of cases.
This very quick obsolescence thing appeals to people who are more in love
with turning over cameras.  They are stuck with the fact that in-between
doing so they are stuck with doing something with those cameras as in making
photographs. Digital photography so far as been a boom to the camera geeks
with little to no interest in photography itself.
The images on our walls we'll make with this camera are going to be
unarguable. They are NOT going to be unviable in any way when the M10 comes
out in ten years. They won't become obsolete.  Nor the camera which made
them and that camera can continue to make viable marketable images of the
same very high quality just like an M2 through 7 would. Decade after decade.
If quality higher than this is needed shoot with a Leica S2 or medium format
digital camera.  An m9 is at the peak of 35mm digital photography at its
finest for the foreseeable future as I see it.
I think it will take us more than a year to fully understand what the M9 can
do for us and what a consummate image making machine it really is. It's
going to inspires us to burn through some good quality 17x22 paper. At least
13x19.
Inch.
Rag.

Mark William Rabiner