Subject: [Leica] 6 Bit Coder?
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 23:19:14 -0700

Greg:  I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures, particularly from
the Pentax 43/1.9.

AFAIK, the lens codings only compensate for "cyan corner" syndrome and
classic vignetting.  And the compensation doesn't vary with aperture--it
can't, since the camera doesn't know what stop you have set.  So it's
just a question of which coding avoids cyan corners without adding pink
ones, at the stops you shoot at.  Lens sharpness has nothing to do with it.

As for lens-body miscegenation, hey, HCB used a Sonnar for years, David
Douglas Duncan used Nikkors. Part of the fun of Leicas is that lots of
companies made lenses for them, and it's fun to try them. Some of them
are actually quite good. Really.
:-)

--Peter

Replies: Reply from steve.barbour at gmail.com (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] 6 Bit Coder?)