Subject: [Leica] 6 Bit Coder?
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 22:44:26 -0700

Greg:  I use it, in fact, I was a beta tester.  It comes with an
oil-based industrial marker that is much longer-lasting than a Sharpie,
but tends to dry out after a while.

The coder works well, with some caveats.

- The marks eventually wear off and you have to redo them.
- Some lenses mounts wear off faster than others.  You just have to try
it and see.
- If the alignment of the coder template isn't exact, you may have to
thicken the marks slightly in one direction or another. Once you figure
this out, it's consistent.
- If the lens mount has a screw in the coding area, you might have to
paint it with white model paint or nail polish, and then perhaps code
over that.  Check your lenses.

Obviously, Leica coding or Milich milling are a more permanent
solution.  That said, I self-code my 35/1.4 Summilux, rather than send
it to Leica or Milich and risk messing up a tight focus tolerance. I've
also coded my tabbed 50 Summicron with it.

Some people have had better luck (or is it skill?) than others. I'm
happy with mine.

--Peter