Subject: [Leica] OT: British TV series (early '90s?)
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 12:45:30 -0700

Completely OT, but I bet someone here will have the answer.  :-)

Years ago, probably around 1992-94, I saw part of a charming British TV
series on PBS. It was about an eccentric British rural family in the late
40s or early 50s.  If I remember correctly, the father of the family
didn't believe in paying taxes, making loan payments or dealing with the
government.  A young bank employee is sent to make a loan collection, and
ends up falling in love with one of the daughters, marrying her and
staying on.

The last episode I saw concerned a young foreigner who was exploring the
world, and came to the family for a stay. Everyone likes him.  He says he
is Dutch or Swiss(?), but one day someone sees his passport, and he is
German.  At which point almost everyone's attitude changes towards him,
despite the fact that he is too young to have participated in the war.

Does anyone remember the title of the series, and is it available on DVD?
And what happened with the young german guy? (Spoilers welcome).

--Peter

Replies: Reply from imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry) ([Leica] OT: British TV series (early '90s?))
Reply from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] OT: British TV series (early '90s?))
Reply from philippe.amard at sfr.fr (Philippe Amard) ([Leica] OT: British TV series (early '90s?))