Subject: [Leica] Old lenses and M8
From: sethrosner at nycap.rr.com (Seth Rosner)
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 07:03:35 -0400

I am with Frank and Nathan; unfortunately I was not on the LUG last early
spring and otherwise out of touch with the Leica community, thus unaware
that an M9 was impending if not imminent. So I finally succumbed to digital
and bought a new M8.2. Would I rather have a full-frame sensor? of course.
Will the M8-8.2 sensor produce outstanding images? of course. Will I see the
difference on a computer screen? unlikely. How about in a print? perhaps if
the enlargement is 15-20X. Good friend Mark R. wants me to sell my M8.2 at a
huge loss and spend $8,000. on a box that will do very little for me other
than return my 24mm to a 24mm frame, my 35 to 35 and my 50 to Summicron 50.
Which will also deprive me of a rangefinder 180mm focal length lens (135/2,8
Elmarit) that I find enormously useful and re-introduce a scratch-able
screen (no sapphire on the M9) that I find potentially quite un-useful.

If I hadn't bought the M8.2, would I buy an M9? Dunno. I might very well
have decided that a demo M8.2 at a savings of $4-5,000. made that a very
attractive decision.

just my 2c.

Seth