Subject: [Leica] Subject: Re: Old lenses and M8
From: sethrosner at nycap.rr.com (Seth Rosner)
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 16:55:02 -0400

On Oct 17, 2009, at 10:04 AM, lrzeitlin at aol.com wrote:

> Do I sense a ground swell of feeling that the M*s should be
> cherished because they make old lenses perform better by eliminating
> the poorer rendition in the corners? Seems like the inverse of the
> opinion that film M Leicas were to be desired over the M8 because
> Leica lenses were designed for the corners rather than the central
> area. I'm confused. I have a lot of old Leica lenses. Do I buy a
> used M8 or save my pennies for an M9?

Larry, you were misinformed; Leica lenses are not "designed for the
corners" - what is true is that most, not all, Leitz/Leica lenses are
designed to reduce field curvature, that is, for a flat image field. That
does not equate to better performance, i.e. resolution and contrast, in the
corners of the image field. Take a look at any MTF chart and you will see
the fall-off in contrast performance at the corners of almost every lens.
Then look at that same MTF chart and imagine that the image field covers
only the center 3/4 of the chart and you will see how the poorer [edge and
corner] contrast is eliminated. OTOH, when you print or project the image,
you will have to enlarge it by a third, introducing a small bit of image
degradation.

Claro?        ;-)

Just take pictures and enjoy the superb gear the folks in Solms are giving
us.

Seth