Subject: [Leica] Identifying Leica screw mount cameras
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 22:54:23 -0700

>  I asked this question before but I never got a definitive answer.
>Leica cameras within a model series are identified by the serial
>number engraved on the top plate. I have plenty of tables which show
>serial numbers by year. But are there any markers or engravings
>inside a Leica screw mount camera which will tell precisely the
>model and the date of manufacture? The reason - I often delve into
>the debris of photo store junk boxes to see what hidden jewels I can
>find. Once in a while I come across a non functional old Leica,
>often dented, marred, or otherwise damaged. I even found one that
>had a bullet hole through it (no questions asked). I've managed to
>assemble a few working cameras from this random collection of parts.
>My favorite, user camera, a Leica IIIc, is a hybrid assembled from
>four junkers, the top plate from one, the body casing from another,
>the works from a third, and the base plate from the fourth. I don't
>remember which camera the knobs came from. The serial nu
>  mber on the top plate 415xxx indicates that it was made in '46/47
>but I'm sure that some of the parts are newer and some older. In any
>event, I know that some cameras in the '46/47 period were assembled
>by Leica itself out of spare parts. So if I sold this camera, is
>there any way that someone could tell, other than looking at the top
>plate serial number when it was made. Conversely, if an unscrupulous
>individual replaced the top plate with one from a rarer camera, say
>a Luftwaffe model or a Kreigs Marine model, could it be detected as
>a fraud. No evil intentions, just asking.
>
>Larry Z

In a word, no.

Often the serial number would be pencilled in on the inside of the
body, but further identification as to date of manufacture won't be
found. Leica serial numbers were assigned in batches; not always
logically or sometimes even consecutively re: assembly date but they
are the only indication of general period of assembly.

The cameras changed fairly rapidly over time, so putting together a
'fake' is not that easy unless all the parts are from about the same
period. The doesn't even make it a real fake, as Leitz did the same
thing.

--

    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design