Subject: [Leica] OT: We need some hope.
From: ricc at embarqmail.com (Ric Carter)
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 18:58:10 -0400

Hey Ted--

I'll have a stab at it.

The US has a split personality.

A portion of the US population sees democracy's Golden Rule being that
everyone plays by the same rules. That means that we face an even
playing field with smaller countries, being respectful of their needs
and concerns. They see Obama as someone who listens to everyone and
makes slow, considered decisions. They see hope after several years of
hopelessness.

Another portion of our population is more authoritarian, believing
that the US earned and should exercise its power as top dog and should
bend the world to its vision by threat or action. They see Obama as a
weak sister who is unwilling to stand up and take what is America's.
They are hopeless after several years of hope.

Most Americans don't think about these things-just paying the bills
and raising the kids.

ric (hopeful)

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] OT: We need some hope.)
Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca) ([Leica] OT: We need some hope.)