Subject: [Leica] Zeiss Normal 50mm f/2 Planar T* ZM
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 18:41:26 -0400

> Richard Man
>
>> How did it get from superiority of Leica glass to superiority of
>> medium format vs. 35mm film format? :-)
>>
>> Of course medium format film > 35mm film. That's without dispute.
>
> A 30x40 print made with Nikon lenses on film looks great until you compare
> it
> with something else.  Compare Galen Rowell's prints with prints made using
> better equipment and you'll see that from a technical POV Rowell's photos
> were
> not particularly good, so his prints by themselves don't illustrate the
> relative merits of the lenses he used.
>
> Doug Herr
> Birdman of Sacramento
> http://www.wildlightphoto.com

I'm also not a big Galen Rowell fan and for sure not a big graduated neutral
density filters fan but I do admire climbers. I admire that more than the
pull over the side of the road to get a shot ers.
Climbers tend to not carry heavy gear with them. Every once is a big deal.
Me I find every once a big deal just walking down the street.
Because of the climbing aspect Galen Rowell used low end plastic Nikon
bodies instead of what you'd thank a famous pro would use because of the
weight factor. And kit lenses a 28-80mm f3.5-5.6D zoom with a build factor
of zero you'd think it would be terrible  but the glass specs which are
really not too bad.
If the only gear they're going to make compact and lightweight says
"amateur" all over it that that's the gear I'm going to have to use myself
as well. Its just fortunate that the particularly Nikon brand that I also
use makes really very good low end stuff. As I understand it a Canon Kit
lens you'd really not want to use at all.

I think climbing and camping gives you an advantage  over people who park
their car and take a short walk from it on road trips. Which is
unfortunately me. I don't like to let my car get much out of sight because
of all the gear which I have in it with my laptop. And if its in the sun I
don't want it heating up.

Mark William Rabiner