Subject: [Leica] National Park series - epiphany
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 17:32:24 -0700

I guess I don't have the same political agenda that Lawrence Zeitlin
has. Clearly he watched the National Parks documentary with a vastly
different eye than I. Muir was a zealot - it's why he was effective.
He was also smart and communicated well. Roosevelt was an avid hunter
and Burns does a good job of demonstrating this: that even on Teddy's
visit to Yellowstone he had to be restrained from shooting a mountain
lion. And yet . . . in spite of this . . . or perhaps informed by it .
. . he was instrumental in the formation of our national park/national
monument system.

Burns' POINT was not that the rich cannot be trusted but that they
should not be relied upon to provide parks for everyone. The very park
Mr. Zeitlin cites is a case in point. Should we rely on the wealthy to
protect our natural heritage or should we rely on a system that just
as well could engulf and devour them? How many lessons about unbridled
capitalism do we have to learn?

I like this documentary - I'm much less in love with the photography
and with the juxtaposition of images from modern photographers with
images taken 100 years ago.

Adam Bridge