Subject: [Leica] Obscura 4x5 Piccolino
From: leica at rcmckee.com (R. Clayton McKee)
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 01:18:55 -0500

Quoth the Jim Nichols :

> Hi Forrest,
>
> That is roughly the diagonal of a 5x7 negative, so it would be a
> normal lens
> for a 5x7 camera.  I suspect there are a lot of 5x7 lenses out there
> sitting  unused which would provide a similar portrait solution when using
> 4x5.

I'd bet there are a lot more 210 lenses out in the world than ever
there were 5x7 cameras.  I seem to recall that someone,  Adams or
Picker, recommended it as THE all-around lens for 4x5  It's a really
nice portrait / slight tele length for 4x5's; mine's a Symmar-S and
the images are superb.

Looking at this obscura, though, I think this one's asking for
something on the order of a 65 or 90 mm, stopped down to effectively
a hyperfocal setting.  Basically it's a pinhole 4x5 with optics, so
less distortion and a more even light distribution in the camera.

Probably produces pretty decent images, but it's almost a 4x5 box
brownie.  Better suited to artists and artistes.--

R. Clayton McKee                           http://www.rcmckee.com
Photojournalist                               rcmckee at rcmckee.com
P O Box 571900                           voice/fax   713/783-3502
Houston, TX 77257-1900                   cell phone #  on request

Replies: Reply from richard.lists at gmail.com (Richard Man) ([Leica] Obscura 4x5 Piccolino)
Message from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] Obscura 4x5 Piccolino)