Subject: [Leica] Leica fantasy
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 06:22:45 +0100

I had the same hope Larry. I am sure such a module would sell well
despite being rather bulky. Probably the most difficult bit would be
keeping the digital film door flat enough to get your eye to the
eyepiece.

It is actually such a logical proposition that I suspect that it was
one of the first devices to have a design study. Since it was rejected
I would speculate that it was perhaps because of cost, perhaps
precision. Also it would not be possible to fit a full size sensor in
there because the film gate is the visible area 36x24, for digital the
sensor itself is quite a bit bigger than the sensitive area and there
is a filter pack on the front, so some of it would need to project
into the camera through the film gate and a 24x36 would therefore not
fit. Perhaps why the DMR has a 1.3 sensor?
Frank