Subject: [Leica] After market spares and repairs.
From: lrzeitlin at aol.com (lrzeitlin at aol.com)
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 11:15:55 -0400

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 10:36 PM, Leonard J Kapner <kapner at
earthlink.net>wrote:

    It is like being told, after the sale: "Congratulations on your Ferrari

Testarossa purchase, the finest high-performance GT car in the world. Please

be aware that there will be no spares or tires available after the fifth

year of ownership!"

Sonny replied:

    I'm not too sure this little nugget holds up. After all,? They never

promised you a new R10 the day after they sold you an R9.? Also, a digital

camera body cannot be thought of like spares or tires.

- - - - - -

    I'm afraid that's par for the course. Leica, NJ no longer repairs screw
mount Leicas and has difficulty finding spares for the early Ms. Canon will
not factory repair cameras over 10 years old. Nikon does not sell
replacement water seals for my beloved 25 year old Nikonos II. Camera
repairers like DAG and Krauter scavenge old cameras for spare parts. The
Canon repair center in NYC feels that it is uneconomical to fix an old
camera and will simply issue a discount certificate on the purchase of a new
one. When most cameras are over 10 years old, you are pretty much on your
own.

    Larry Z

Replies: Reply from spencer at aotera.org (Spencer Cheng) ([Leica] After market spares and repairs.)