Subject: [Leica] Leica Won't Improve Your Photography
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 10:24:21 -0700

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 6:52 PM, Tina Manley <images at comporium.net> wrote:

> I can focus my Leica's faster than I can my Canon's. ?The Canon's you have
> to set a dial choosing a focus point, then the camera has to hunt and hunt
> in low light to focus. ?With the Leica, I usually have my fingers on the
> focus dial and by the time it's up to my eye, I've got it approximately
> where I want it to be, focus on the center of interest, recompose and
> shoot.
> ?I would much rather focus a rangefinder than a DSLR anyway - but that's
> just me.
>
> Tina

You have significantly refined your original statement, Tina. There
are some challenges to focusing an M - especially in an environment
with complex and confusing backgrounds. If the focus setting on the
lens isn't close to the actual focus one can think they have achieved
focus when, in fact, it's seriously out of focus. If you're shooting a
person it can be easier, but my 1Ds MK II autofocuses faster than I
can focus my M8 in almost all conditions save low-light where it hunts
around. But in low-light I usually have a fast lens on my M8. I still
miss shots because of missed focus, however and because I'm WAY off
not just a little off. This could be an issue of how I see things, a
sort of visual aphasia I suppose, but it's quite real for me.

Adam

Replies: Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] Leica Won't Improve Your Photography)
Message from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Leica Won't Improve Your Photography)
Message from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Leica Won't Improve Your Photography)