Subject: [Leica] SMASHING RESPONSE FOR TINA. Right up to date time line! Speculation on the M8/M8.2/M9timeline
From: rclark01 at comcast.net (rclark01 at comcast.net)
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 13:58:43 +0000 (UTC)

Smashing good story, Dr. Ted!!!

Robert
----- Original Message -----
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant at shaw.ca>
To: "Leica Users Group" <lug at leica-users.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 9, 2009 11:59:03 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: [Leica] SMASHING RESPONSE FOR TINA. Right up to date time line!
Speculation on the M8/M8.2/M9timeline

Tina offered in response to:
Tina said:
> No, Ted teed Leica off when he threatened to smash one of their
> cameras on the steps of the capitol building in Canada. ?Leica has a
> long, long memory. ;-)

Hi Crew,
Well Tina is certainly correct when she said I "teed them off!"
However it wasn't because of threatening to smash an R4 on the front steps
of the Capitol Building, it was the front steps of the Leica Canada head
office building and do it ?before the Canadian national media, TV networks,
wire services and Toronto daily newspapers were ready and waiting for the
ultimate moment of destruction.

The real reason Leica were/are still ticked off? Well that's a story for
another day in private!

I had bought my usual 3 bodies and motors, in this case they were brand new
just out R4's. Unfortunately I had one body that consistently crapped out
every time I went to use it. I shipped it from Victoria 5 times to Toronto
for service in a matter of weeks.

The last time it was returned I opened the box, tried to fire it up and it
never worked! To say the least I was rather irate! I'm being quite polite in
my expressions at the moment.
Phoned Toronto and gave them an ultimatum. "I'm coming to Toronto in two
days on assignment, I will call into your office and you will have a brand
new camera or I will smash this one before the National Media on the front
steps with an interview you'll wish Leica were never born!
I arrived at the office and asked where my new camera was ? The response?
"Ted, give the camera to the head of service and we'll take you out for
lunch. When we get back it will be just as good as new!"
Now that was a hell of an option, it wasn't any good when it was new a few
weeks prior.

I told them it was another camera new out of the box or they could watch the
Leica smashing from hell on the 6pm news! They laughed, we went for lunch,
they paid, we returned to the Leica building. SURPRISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep and right there was this great gaggle of media with TV cameras set up,
stills photogs, radio guys and gals all waiting for the destruction if I
were not given a brand new and properly working R4!
"Hey ted when are you smashing that crappy camera, I got a tight deadline?"
And similar phrases along with microphones in my face asking "Are you really
going to smash a new Leica to pieces right there on the steps?" And it went
on.

I hadn't noticed the senior Leica staff had gone in the building, suddenly
the door opened, out came the head chap ?with..... "YOU BET!" ?A new R4 in
box and handed it to me quietly asking if I wouldn't mind unwrapping it and
showing the media that Leica stood strongly behind their products because it
is the best camera in the world for great photojournalists such as you. He
was all smiles.

I thanked him, unwrapped and brought out the camera! The media packed up all
their gear with a fair amount of grumbling and bitching because it became a
non-story. Not a picture taken nor TV camera rolling!

How did the media know about it in first place? I phoned all my media
friends and told them if they wanted to see a royally irate photojournalist
smash a new Leica to smithereens on the front steps of the Leica Canada head
office, be there! And they were, much to the surprise of Leica Canada
officials!

So Tina was close, it was the steps of the Leica building, not the steps of
the Capitol building! :-) So there you go eh? :-)

Dr. ted