Subject: [Leica] IMG: Noisy Insect
From: jsmith342 at gmail.com (Jefffery Smith)
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 18:00:16 -0500

Their method of making that noise is  interesting. They have a drum-
head like diaphragm on either side of the body with 4 folds in it.
Pulling on the diaphragm (with a muscle) causes 4 consecutive
"banging" noises, like squeezing an empty plastic water bottle. They
alternate doing the left and right side diaphragms, and that means two
muscle contractions cause 8 loud banging noises. In the oaks down here
in the Garden District, it sounds like people with chain saws.

By the way, these are the bugs whose nymph stage lasts 17 years. After
17 years, the nymph crawls up the side of a tree, and later hatches
out of a skin to become an adult cicada. The "shells" that someone
mentioned is the cast-off nymph shell.

Jeffery