Subject: [Leica] panasonic GF-1 and a 20mm f 1.7 lens .... likea leica?
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 18:10:50 +0200

Yes, but the comparison is not 15% vs. 0%. Remember that if you walk
into B&H and walk out with an item, you will have paid a sales tax of
close to 9%. Yes, you can avoid it by having the item shipped out of
state, but then you incur shipping charges.

I personally believe that the main reason for the price differences is
the degree of competition in the relevant market and the consumers'
willingness to buy online from other countries. For a long time the UK
was known as "rip-off Britain" because of its high prices, even
compared to not exactly cheap Continental countries like Germany. Now,
however, with the pound at 1.15 EUR, it is an entirely different game,
and I find that most photo equipment is cheaper in the UK than in
Europe--and not much more than at B&H, depending of course on the
item. Certainly true for Leica stuff.

Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
Alicante, Spain